Sunday, December 18, 2011

Austin just got a little weirder.


Yay Austin! Just got here Friday after I put 1,000 miles on my car. Zip did pretty well, actually. It was me who was bored out of my mind on the drive through West Texas. I left Thursday and stayed with Auntie Brenda in Las Cruces, then left Friday morning for the dreaded bore of a drive. I stopped at a Target in El Paso to pick up some new cds/sustenance.


Ok, if you've never had those pecans (we all know pecans are the superior nut, btw), you really should try them. I don't know what it is about the combo of dried cranberries, pepper and orange zest but it's quite magical. 
Now that I think about it, this was probably the most organized my front seat has ever been on a drive. 
See "trip to SF" pic:

Wowsa.

Random thought - I'm really fortunate to be tall, because I really enjoy driving with my knees. Doing so, I think I saved a little armadillo's life (I was able to swerve pretty quickly). That puts him (or her) on the pretty long list of "animals I have avoided killing and therefore killing myself" which includes, but is not limited to: moose, a big ole buck, deer, jackrabbits, cows, buffalo (BUFFALO!), and many a squirrel. 

I stayed at my brother's apt on Friday night, and then after a lovely cinnamon roll breakfast he deserted me to hang out with my cousin in Dallas, to watch the new Mission Impossible on Imax. Who's jealous? This girl. But alas, I kept my little self busy with Stevo's NetFlix, a Target run, a trip to the doctor's and finally the much-anticipated obtaining-of-the-keys. I'm renting the CUTEST little studio apartment known to mankind. Take a look-see.


I feel like the closet is almost a bedroom in itself, but I couldn't bring myself to post a picture. It would make my own closet feel bad about itself. It's already pretty empty and lonely. But SOON my Canadians (I call them mine, although I've never met them) will be renting out my darling little condo - I'm excited for it to be lived in for a while, even it it's not me. 
After unpacking ole Zip and putting everything away (it gets easier and faster with every move), I went with Erin (the bro's gf) to H.E.B. - or The Heb as I call it - the inexpensive version of Safeway. I have to say, Texas is quite smitten with itself. I saw that a lot when I was in Dallas, but for serious, people. Not only did we see the Little Miss Texas dolls (with interchangeable cowgirl and cowboy cheerleader outfits, respectively), but also saw these:


Really, Heb? Is that totally necessary? Apparently, yes, they were selling like hotcakes. Although, I've personally never bought a hotcake, they really must be the bee's knees to get their own saying.
How excited are you that I have internet here? Because I'm STOKED. I start orientation tomorrow so I have to finish these stupid online competencies now. And Roberta, if you call me or email me about these "modules" one more time...
Honestly, she makes me so crazy I could just spit. 

2 comments:

  1. So I love your blog posts. I totally hear your voice as I read. :) Love ya lady! Have a blast in Texas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds so fun!! i only wish it were closer so i could hop by for a weekend visit. love love.

    ReplyDelete